Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chicken Curry! Salad


Oh my Curry! I have never used curry in my cooking and have only had it a handful of times out at restaurants. In high school I worked for the mom of one of my friends at her sandwich shop/catering business for one summer. I remember her making a curry chicken salad that the customers would go nuts for. I was drawn to the creamy golden yellow salad mixed with grapes and other things I can't remember now. The chicken salad was delicious. When I came across this recipe on the Cook Yourself Thin website...I remembered that sunny yellow salad from my summer job in high school and I wanted to try this recipe.

It's easy to make. Mayo, orange juice and zest and curry powder come together to coat the shredded chicken, diced granny smith apples and raisins. Top it off with toasted slivered almonds for a nutty crunch. I was so excited to try this lucious salad.

I am a bit of wimp when it comes to spicy foods...so 2 tablespoons of curry powder was a little more than I bargained for. I added in a heaping spoonful of sour cream to cool it down a bit. I'm not sure how much cooling effect it really had. The salad definitely had a kick! It was nice to try something new and Hubby even gave it the thumbs up!

Unfortunately it appears that curry and I don't get along. After eating it for dinner and then again the next day for lunch I felt like I was slowly moving into a curry coma. The best way to describe it is I felt like I had a curry hangover that carried me into the following day. Though it was tasty, I'm not sure I will be making this again. But if you are a fan of curry and it doesn't send your body into shock...give this flavorful and healthy Curried Chicken Salad a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment