Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tacos Family Style

I'll just say it up front. Get the big mystery out of the way. The secret is ketchup. Yep. I said ketchup. My family has been eating tacos this way since my mom was a kid and the tradition has been passed on. My dad adopted the tradition and carried it on even after my parents parted ways. And earlier this week, I was lucky enough to get an invitation to indulge in this delicious, old favorite at Dad's house!


My Dad and step Mom invited Hubby and I over for tacos in exchange for a little computer assistance. It's a no brainer if tacos are involved (nothing personal about your company guys if you are reading this). My step Mom not only fried up fresh corn tortillas for the taco shells, but she also fried up fresh chips. Along with some homemade guacamole that I brought along, and the infamous tacos, it was a pretty darn good meal! Let's just say I didn't leave hungry.



The tacos are simple and so very delicious. A fried corn tortilla filled with ground beef and sauteed onion, lettuce, tomato, freshly grated cheddar cheese and.....my good friend Mr. Ketchup.


I see you scrunching up your face and going, "Ewww!". But the question is, have you ever tried it? I totally get that ketchup doesn't fall into the "Mexican" category. I am with you. But this isn't about authentic Mexican food. It's about tasty and heart warming comfort food. So don't knock it till you try it! Ketchup is the essential ingredient to bring a little tangy, sweet tomato-y goodness to the crisp yet chewy fried shell, crumbly ground beef, cool lettuce and tomato and soft, tasty cheddar cheese.

Homemade tacos are an old favorite that will always bring me back to childhood and fond memories of sitting around the table with the family enjoying food and conversation. It's a special treat that I look forward to every once in a while. So Dad, Mom, Grandma? I am available anytime for a taco dinner! Just sayin.

2 comments:

  1. I love ketchup! The tacos and the chips look so good. Now Im craving mexican food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!!! I love those tacos that sounds SO good right now!

    ReplyDelete