Friday, December 10, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie: Spiced Butter Glazed Carrots


10 pounds of carrots. We bought 10 pounds of carrots from Costco last Sunday. For a 2 person household. I had 2 dishes in mind this week featuring carrots...and at $4 something it seemed perfectly sensible to buy 10 pounds. Right? So what that I still have 7 pounds left? Maybe there is a really big carrot cake in my future.

The first dish I made this week with our carrot cache was a slow cooker pot roast with onions, carrots and potatoes. It was tasty, but I didn't get a chance to snap any photos. Sorry. And dish number two is my French Friday's with Dorie pick for this week. December is another free form month where we can cook the 5 recipes selected by the group during whichever week we choose. And given my abundance of carrots...this week was the perfect week.

Dorie's recipe for Spiced Butter Glazed Carrots is simple and tasty. But I think I missed the boat on the true "spice" factor because I left out the cardamom seeds. They didn't have a gallon size at Costco for us to buy! But I did use plenty of fresh ginger and garlic. Oh, and butter. The carrots were good. Wow good? Na. But still good. I will likely make them again. And soon...because I don't think that carrot cake requires all 7 pounds sitting in the fridge.

I served the carrots with Dorie's Chicken Diable recipe. I really, really like this recipe and have made it twice now. The sauce is delicious. Wow delicious. Especially if you are a dijon mustard fan. So good. To get Dorie's recipes pick up her fabulous book Around My French Table.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm - These carrots look and sound delicious Gloria :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good. I am looking forward to making them. So funny about buying carrots at Costco and having tons left over. :) You just can't beat their prices. You could also make carrot soup with some of them. The carrot cache sounds great and you are the second person that I have read who has made Dorie's chicken diable - I will have to check that recipe out especially since I love dijon mustard. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you can find some cardamom, i urge you to try this recipe again. the cardamom gives the carrots this wonderful, unexpected flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUDUK santai , MAIN game dapet duit buang Stres Loh Tunggu apa lagi? yuk gabung sekarang juga di MOLEKTOTO DAPATKAN: BONUS NEW MEMBER 10%
    BONUS DEPOSIT HARIAN 5RB
    DEPOSIT VIA PULSA TANPA POTONGAN LOH!!berapapun kami bayar
    Yuk gabung sekarang juga! di WWW.MOLEKTOTO.INFO

    ReplyDelete