Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars


Simple and sweet crumble bars.  Short and sweet post.

I have a few crumble bar recipes in my repertoire, but I seem to keep coming back to this one.  It's all about the oats.  These crumble bars are a lot like an oatmeal cookie with fruit filling.  I always think I'm going to use a different recipe, but in the end the oats lure me in with their chewy, warm goodness. Paired with sweet and tangy homemade strawberry rhubarb preserves....it had to be done.  This bar isn't fancy, but more importantly, it is tasty.  And like most desserts, it is perfect for breakfast (especially warmed for a few seconds in the microwave).








Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Apple-Cherry Crumble Bars

1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup strawberry rhubarb preserves (or your favorite preserves)

In a large bowl whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few larger clumps remaining. Press 4 cups of oat mixture into the bottom of a buttered 9 x 13 baking dish. Whisk preserves in a small bowl until they are easily spreadable. Top oat mixture with the preserves. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture evenly on top. Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Let cool completely in dish on a wire rack. Cut into bars store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man you have me wishing I hadn't given away all of my preserves! Yours bars sound and look insanely delicious and perfectly comforting for this cold, rainy week we're having here. I've never tried this recipe from Martha so maybe I'll give it a go with whatever preserves are hanging around in my fridge right now.

    ReplyDelete