Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sweet Melissa Sundays: Pear and Blackbery Pie with Gingersnap Crumble


I almost didn't make this pie.  Even though I had bought a 6 pound bag of pears at Costco last weekend with the intention some would be used for this pie.  Then I remembered that I had a mini pie crust in the freezer from when the group made ginger pumpkin pie last year.  I also had some gingersnap cookie dough balls in the freezer too.  I had everything I needed and no real excuse.  Then I read Dawn's rave review and I knew it had to be done.  Thank you Dawn of Growing Up (And Having Fun) After 40 for hosting this delicious recipe!

I'm glad I got over my laziness and made this tasty pie.  The recipe calls for cranberries but I used blackberries because I had them on hand.  The pears have a very mild flavor and the berries added a nice tartness to this very sweet pie.  The gingersnap crumble adds a nice crunch and the spices pair well with the pears and berries.  This recipe is definitely a keeper. 



There are several steps to make this pie come together.  It would be best to make it over 2 days.  On day 1 make the pie crust, place it in your pie pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  Make and cool the gingersnaps, process in the food processor to grind and place in an airtight container.  On day 2 assemble the pie filling and the ginger snap crumble topping then bake.




To get the recipe head over to Dawn's site.   To see other SMS baker's pies click here.

7 comments:

  1. you're the ginger snap girl and you almost didn't make a pie with ginger snap crumble?! =P glad you ended up trying it b/c it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, reading your post makes me really, really wish I hadn't sat this one out - the pie looks incredible! Your pairing with the blackberries sounds nice too. The pie is going on my to-do list for the fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pairing blackberries with the pears sounds delicious. And that step by step photography of that yummy looking pie is making me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking pie, Gloria. I too love the pear/blackberry combo (wouldn't have thought of that). Will have to mark this one in the book to make later (was out of town this weekend and skipped it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gloria, your pictures look DELECTABLE!!!

    Lol to Jaime's comment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gloria, your pie looks fantastic! I had been looking forward to this one since I got the book, but then I couldn't get excited about the fall flavors this time of year. I love that you used blackberries - perfect for June and I'm sure great with ginger. I have to admit, I really put the SMS group (and baking and blogging in general) on the backburner since I'd been busy with my wedding, but I'm hoping to make some of the remaining recipes.

    These photos are exceptionally good, especially the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pie looks great! Wish I was doing something other than studying for boards so that I would have been able to make it. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete