Monday, May 21, 2012

Monster Cookies


How the month sneaks by so quickly, I don't know.  But it's already time for the latest installment of Secret Recipe Club. This month I was assigned Moms Crazy Cooking.  Tina has a really fun blog with a lot of little craziness in the mix. ;) Between cooking for her family of six, her twin girl's competitive cheer schedule and participating in several online cooking/baking groups I don't think there is a dull moment at Tina's house.  Tina even hosts a monthly themed cooking challenge online called the "Crazy Cooking Challenge" where other bloggers make their take on the assigned theme, link up their posts and then everyone votes for the "Ultimate Recipe".  The last Crazy Cooking Challenge theme was Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.  There were some pretty good looking recipes in there!  Check out Tina's blog when you get a chance. 

As usual I flagged a number of recipes while perusing Moms Crazy Cooking.  In fact I even made two of her recipes this week.  The first was Au Gratin Potatoes in a crock pot.  First of all, that's a genius idea.  Second of all, it's stinkin delicious.  It was a huge hit at our Mother's Day lunch last weekend.  Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures because we were too busy fighting over these tasty potatoes.  Yes I said fighting.  There was a little scuffle at the table when my mom's fork suddenly nose dived into my aunt's plate to swipe the oh so coveted, browned crispy parts of the potatoes.  I guess sisters can do that.  My family takes potatoes very seriously! Needless to say, I will be making these again, and I hope have a clear enough mind to actually take a picture or two. 

Thankfully I did take photos of these Monster Cookies.  I have made dozens of different kinds of cookies through the years, but never a monster cookie.  Tina's blog had two versions, one with and without peanut butter.  I went with the non peanut butter version, but will have to try the peanut butter version at some point too. 


This monster cookie is a cross between a chocolate chip and oatmeal cookie with 3 cups of anything and everything mixed in. You can customize your monster cookie to your taste by stirring in nuts, candy, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, raisins, pretzels...whatever you can think of really. I kept mine pretty simple, mixing in pretzel M&M's and chocolate chips. The oatmeal brings a very homey texture to the cookie.  I am putting monster cookies on the baking list next time my nieces and nephews are over. 

Enjoy!

Monster Cookies
from Mom's Crazy Cooking

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup margarine (I used all butter)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled oats
3 cups of your favorite mixins - such as nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, toffee, M&M's, chopped up candy, marshmallows, pretzels, etc. (I used 2 cups of pretzel M&M's and 1 cup of chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. 

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and oats and whisk to combine. 

In the bowl of stand mixer, beat butter, margarine and sugars on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Reduce speed to low and add eggs, one at a time and vanilla, mixing until just blended.  With mixer on low add the flour mixture in three batches until just combined.  Add your 3 cups of mixins and mix on low to combine.

For truly monster size cookies, use a full size ice cream scoop with a release mechanism and bake 6 cookies per sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown on the edges (mine took 14 minutes).  Makes 24 extra large monstrous cookies!

16 comments:

  1. Anything with monster in the title has to be good!! These cookies sound awesome :)
    Great SRC post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Gerry. In fact, I found your delicious blog on his!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm...I adore monster cookies...and yours look spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look super scrumtious. I love putting m and m's in cookies! Have to try this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies look wonderful! I just love Tina's blog! Great cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love monster cookies because you can always change them up a little. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a classic, who doesnt love Monster cookies. You picked a great one for src.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried them but I can see that I have been missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For as much as I bake, I don't think I've ever made monster cookies, which seems crazy. Love the way you styled yours, they look delicious :) Thanks for the heads-up on the potatoes, I need to go check those out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love cookies, especially if they have oatmeal in them (does oatmeal make them a 'health food'? These will be pinned and made within the week. Great SRC pick. I do love Mom's Crazy Cooking--one fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I 've ever had a 'monster cookie' actually defined for me! I think they are a great way to get rid of all the bits and pieces that are lying around, no? These certainly look delicious and have me pining way for those pretzel M and M's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness - send a batch of this monster yumminess this way!! they look SOOOOO good!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love monster cookies!!! My mom used to make them when I was little and they are such a fond memory from my childhood. Great choice for SRC!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No peanut butter?! Oh, Gina, you have sinned! Repent and make the peanut butter version! ;) Sorry, I crack myself up sometimes. These look really good and honestly, I've never met a cookie I didn't like. Even if there was a pb version and I was stuck with the non pb version. ;) Going to go check out those potatoes!

    ReplyDelete